7 Yarn Characteristics that Affect the Knitwear Performance
The varieties of yarns in the international market are ever-changing. When develop knitwear, what yarns characteristics we need to consider that may affect the knitwear performance? Below 7 points are considered as the most important factors.
- The degree of yarn thickness. There is deviation and unevenness in the thickness of yarn. If there are thick and thin yarns during spinning process, this will lead to one section is thicker and the other section is thinner which is unacceptable.
- The twist. If the twist is uneven that will cause knots in the yarn.
- The stretch & tensile strength. If the yarn does not stretch enough, the yarn will break easily during knitting.
- The abrasion resistance. This will affect the durability of wear.
- The anti-pill. If the yarn’s anti-pilling index is low, the knitwear will have pilling problem after wearing.
- The color fastness to washing. The garment may be faded after washing, which is the common phenomenon of inferior yarn on the market.
- The color fastness to stains. In daily life, garment is stained inevitably, this factor will affect whether it is easy to remove the stains.
Above are the common consideration factors when making knitwear, some of them can be observed visually, while some requires professional equipment to detect.